From the book "Spoken Cat" by Alexandra Sellers
Bellow Publishing Company Limited
8 Balham Hill
ISBN Number: 1 85725 17 2
List Price: £17.50
A beginner's guide to Spoken Cat - Mow pra brap marr.
Our Price: £14.00
You Save: £3.50 (20%)
Availability: This title is usually dispatched within 2-3 days.
Useful Phrases - Cat
- Mow merowwap: I am waiting for my food.
- Maaa mawrow bra: Open this door.
- Mow RRaow row: I am lonely.
- Mow aow row mew: I am cold.
- Maaa mow ruh rowb!: Get off my tail!
Useful Phrases - Human.
- Mow ar prip mma mow Rup: Can I stroke you?
- Mow bBuh birr: Would you like some milk?
- Mow Rowow row: You are very handsome.
- MRaow mmow nrow Blacky: The food is not yours, it is Blacky's.
- Mow maow uh prruh aa ma huh Row: Are you going to come and sit on my lap?
Note: If the cat pays no attention, do not make a kissing or sucking noise. This will be counter-productive. Abandon your efforts and try a second time.
Basics Of Pronunciation
There is an overall nasality to cat utterances.
- b as in "brow" but much less stressed
- f as in "fuss" but with the teeth placed lightly behind the lower lip, and on top
- h as in "huh", a short sigh
- m lighter than the English sound - the lips are together but are opened as the sound begins, so there is no "hum"
- n as for m, a very light sound
- p as in "praise"
- rr trilled r. The nearest human equivalent of this sound is formed when the tongue flutters on the hard palate
- R uvular r, as in French trťsor
- RR heavily rolled uvular r
- w the sound made between the "h" and "a" in English "ohh ahh"
- Ń glottal stop
An Elementary Conversation
Scene: A human meets the neighbour's cat.
Cat: Mow (How do you do?)
Human: Mow maŃ (How do you do? Can I be of service?)
Cat: MaŃ mupRup birr birr pirp (A dish of cream, if you would be so kind)
Human: Birr birr maŃ bra! (Cream coming up!)
The dish of cream is brought; the cat drinks.
Cat: Mbrwh (Thank you! lit. "pleased")
Human: MaŃ RRow. maŃ ? (My pleasure. Is there anything else?)
- brap: to eat
- birr: milk
- birr birr: cream
- bra: to work, lift, carry, fetch, do
- maŃ RRow: thank you
- mbruh: nice, pleasant
- mbruuh: thank you
- merowwap: to be hungry
- mew: cold
- mow: cat (used as form of address, Also "to eat" or "good")
- mŃ ow: gently
- mupRup: you must
- mut: pay attention!
- nmbruh: unpleasant (the negative is formed by prefixing the sound n)
- pirp: to bring or offer, make an offering to
- pwah: wet (can also mean to dislike, disdain)
- row: to be
- Row: lap, knee