Back to Cat Tails

Madison & Her Kittens

July 2006


This is rather bitter-sweet.

Trying to be a semi-responsible cat owner. We had our youngest cat Madison on the pill. Well the little dear that she is managed to get herself pregnant.

Even with our precautions, the pill, keeping her inside watching her very closely. Thursday the 20th of July, 2006, she went into labour. At 6am she started miaowing waking me up. I get up thinking she needed some food and she took two bites and ran upstairs.

I went with her and she went into the closest. I told her to just go to sleep it's hot and she should rest. So I go back downstairs to make coffee. Down she came miaowing at me again and then going to the other closet (she has resting places!). No, she didn't want that one. So she started up the stairs and waited for me. I didn't come, so she came after me. I finally said okay and went with her.

She went into the closest and laid down. I sat on the floor but she was restless and kept checking to see where I was. Finally I laid down in front of the door so she could see me. I feel asleep and woke around 11am, she was still watching me like she does every night. When I sleep she sits on the very corner of the mattress by my head and watches me. I talked to her rubbed her back and she started to relax finally, and at noon had her first kitten. It looks just like her. by 12:30pm there were two. Nothing happened for the next two hours so I figured she was done and started to get things gathered around the room I put fresh kitten food and water out, set up her litter box, I made a clean bed for her. Then at 3pm I lifted the sheet I had put over the area. To see how she was doing. Too my surprise two more, but one was on the floor outside the closet, she wasn't taking care of it. So I set it in with her so she could clean it up.

She had four kittens, three black and one red. But the red kitten wasn't doing well, we sadly had him put to sleep. He was born with a small hole in his back between his shoulder blades similar to spina bifida, and his front legs although fully developed were not functioning. The one leg was folded up like he was patting it over his shoulder, the other was in a normal position. After realizing he wasn't eating well and not moving with the other front leg to try and nurse. I called the vet. He said it was natures way and just let him go. I hung up, went back up stairs and began to try massage therapy on him. Thinking he wasn't massaged enough by Madison at birth. He tried to nurse but not for long because he couldn't hold on. So, not happy with the first vets response, I called another vet. He said bring him in. The results were his front legs were totally paralyzed and useless. There was nothing to be done. So he's in a better place and we let him go humanly. Instead of allowing him to starve to death.

Madison & Kittens

You can see the deformed leg of the red one we named "Visitor" So now we have three little black kittens. And Madison has an appointment with the vet for neutering.
A little background on how we came about adopting Madison. We lost our Whitney three years ago, and our deaf cat Indie (his daughter) was at a loss without him. If she would escape the house, he would go and find her and bring her home. Odd but true. She cried and stopped eating because he wasn't by her side, she would wander around the house all day and night. I cried as much as she did.

We decided to try and get another to be a companion to her. I saw a post in the local grocery. Went to the home and this woman, she had 5 adult cats all pregnant and with litters already. I looked at the kittens she had and I realized that this was bad and not a good situation. I asked her if there were more and she said yes in her bedroom upstairs. She brought them down, I spotted Madison and she was so cute and lively I said I wanted her. The woman said she was only four weeks old to come back in two weeks. So I go back in two weeks, paid the woman the 20 euros she claimed were for vet fees. (we know better some of us are not total idiots). I get Madison home and called the vet.

I had her check and he said there was no way she was six/seven weeks old. Infact he said more like four/five weeks. She had drippy eyes and under nourished. He said because of her size and weight she was too small for medications or injections. Just to keep her from the other two cats and hope for the best when she reaches 500 grams he could treat her. So, I doctored her to health.

This little thing that barely fit in the palm of your hand, had became the family daredevil. She has no fear of heights. But she is terrified of strangers. She started at a year old by climbing onto the fireplace mantle and jumping off, she also jumped off the roof of the house extension. Since that is her favourite thing it's become a game with her.Lets see if we can scare these people a little, and off she goes.

We put up garden trellises and fencing. Now she goes on up the trellis, walks along and dive bombs the other cats laying in the grass or sleeping in the shrubs underneath. Right up to the day before she had the little ones she's still performing her stunts.

Madison & Kittens

Madison & Kittens
She's really become my little angel.

What about the previous owner of Madison?

She is in jail now. Seems she was running a scam with the kittens.

Claiming she was on disability and had these kittens she couldn't take care of.

She was selling them at 20 euros each as British Shorthairs and the reason for such a low price was because she had too many and needed to get homes for them and the cost was for vet fees. This is the same line she gave me. None of it was true.

There were so many complaints from others people who had adopted the kittens and the kittens dropping dead when they got them home. Finally, the authorities got involved.

Just a little caution to others on adopting kittens. Beware of people with sob stories and overrun with pets. You could get more than you bargain for. We were just fortunate that our kitten survived.

Copyright: J D Timmer in the Netherlands.

Back to Cat Tails

Return to top of page